Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Fontana Dam to Clingman's Dome

We got a man down dude.

Updates... Travis has a muscle that tore off his bone. He is down and out. Called the medics. If he isn't healed in six weeks, he may have to get surgery. I can honestly say I have experienced a sense of deep sadness and depression about the lose of the other king. Life throws curves and ya just have to keep rolling, rolling, rolling.

Update on my leg.... came off the trail for three days and four nights. I had swelling in my right shin and ankle for seven days before getting off the trail. I made it to Urgent Care in Gatlinburg, TN, and the doctor says I have inflammation in a compartment in my leg. AKA, I have the beginnings of compartment syndrome. I knew two guys that were medically discharged from the Army for the same issue in their legs. Let's hope the doctor is wrong. I got a steroid shot in my tush, steroid pills, and a "take as much ibuprofen as you can handle" from the doctor. Starting tomorrow, so hopefully my leg hold's up.

Keep the Two Kings in your hopes and dreams.

From Fontana Dam, the mileage roll up is 16.7 from Fontana Dam to Spence Field Shelter, 6.3 from Spence to Derrick Knob Shelter, and 10.3 from Derrick to Clingman's Dome.

The first day into the Smokies was great. A loooong day with a looooong climb. I left Travis that day and it made it even harder. Fiddlehead and I walked together most of the day. There are pictures of a deer we got four feet from. We met our first southbounder. He started September 23 last year. Sherpa, I hope you finish this Saturday and havr your party with your friends and family. Carl, the first Ridgerunner we encountered, advised us of an easy hike to Spense Field, so we pushed through for a long day. Met The Texans (college buddies thag went to U of Texas out for a section hike), a Marine Vietnam Vet and his friend, and Crash (another thru hiker). The Texans shred food with us after a night of rain and crappy weather. Good luck to The Texans and their families!

I finally realized on day six I needed medical attention while climbing Derrick Knob. I stepped and got sharp pain shots up my shin and later that day my feet and toes went numb. Trey, a Ridgerunner (someone who stays along the trail to assist in the park and hikers) was an EMT and advised me to get off. Fiddlehead and Dreamcatcher left me behind and carried on. I already miss them dearly. A young man from Seattle, who shall remain nameless, almost had the Ridgerunner kick him out of the shelter. So far, everyone on the trail have been decent, kind folks, but this young man leaves a trail of disaster wherever he falls. I wish him good luck and that he makes it to Maine,  but I told him I hope our paths never cross again. He had some interesting comments on how he feels that the military is bullshit and he will sit in the US and let other people die so he can drink beer and smoke pot. Interesting cat.

The next morning, Trey and Seattle continued to argue and everyone at the shelter had enough of Seattle. The swelling had subsided, so I let Trey know I was pushing to Clingman's and getting a ride to Gatlinburg. I bid ado to my fellow hikers and begrudgingly said bye to Seattle, hoping I wouldn't see him again. I made it Clingman's with little incident. Pain of course, but manageable and nothing to write home about. Upon the Dome, which the pictures of the fog are of, paint a picture of the highest point on the AT without any visibility. A park volunteer named Dixie offered to give me a ride if I waited until her shift was done. I was perfectly fine with waiting. I climbed the Dome, ate some chocolate, and talked to other park employees. I shout out to Dixie for your trail magic! She even gave me an apple! Highlight of my day.

I made it into Gatlinburg and am staying at the Grand Prix Motel. Perfect for hikers. Just about as dirty as we are when we get off the trail, but the beds are amazing and showers.  Showers.

In an attempt to keep my Gatlinburg experiencr short.... I spent too much money, drank with my fellow thru hikers and my new friends Marianne and Mike (great people from outside of Chicago! Hope our paths cross again!). Thru hikers Bibs, Rojo Baggins, Shaman, and an assortment of others are all here. Seattle and I bumped into each other for a minute. He was not happy to see me. I smiled and wished him happy trails with earnest.... then cursed him under my breath. Not the best of manners, but I am only human.

Let's Party showed up tonight! We are all heading back to the trail tomorrow. It's weird to see Party without Easy, her dog, but it is always good for the heart to see her smiling face and have her awesome sense of humor back in the mix.

Shout outs to my home skillets Dreamcatcher and Fiddlehead. Hope you left us some nice notes in the registers. Ellis, my man, you are missed! Shamwow, I hope you are well and had a nice time with the family!

If you could, please keep my grandfather, my dad's dad, in your thoughts. He is not doing very well.

Ok, the post is too long. Also, I don't know how to end this anymore. And I ate three 16 ounce sirloins while I was in town. And did the free moonshine tasting. Twice.

Cheers!

Jupiter... Two Kings.... I dunno....

2 comments:

  1. Doc says as long as things heal properly I can be back on the trail in 6 weeks ( actually he said gradually build up strength after 6 weeks but fuck him ).

    I don't know what to do with myself until then..

    Keep going strong brother, see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad to see you (temporarily) out of it, Travis. Hope you have a quick recovery and can get back out there.

    Quig, thanks for writing this up. I'm living vicariously through you from dirty and polluted Bland Metropolis, China.

    ReplyDelete