Thursday, May 30, 2013

Clingman's Dome to Hot Springs, NC

Reached Hot Springs, NC yesterday! Checkpoint. Saved game.

Doc told me to keep my mileage at ten a day to see how my leg feels. Mileage round up for the last five days of hiking were 10.7, 12.6, 18.4, 15.1, and 18. Oops. Leg is ok. Mostly annoying. It could still get bad, but it's holding up well at the moment. I have a thirteen day push to Damascus, VA from here with only one resupply. It's going to be long, hot, and hard.... *looks around mischieviously*

So, for people roundup: hiked quite a bit with Shaman and Let's Party. Good chats about ex's, our lives, and the future. We caught up with Pete and Jason (you might remember them from when Travis and I almost died of hypothermia) and had plenty of laughs with them. Rojo is along as well, always with a laugh and his boisterous snoring that wakes me up even with my ear plugs in. Met four new hikers that I have since spent a great deal of time with: Tangy (marketing wiz from Michigan with a great voice for singing and a love of quick wit and sarcasm), Sir Stooge (his actual trail name is much longer but I can never remember it. Awesome dude from South Jersey and a great conversationalist), Raven (duder from Meso, AZ who is quiet but hilarious and really smart), and Strider (a college guy heading to Harpers Ferry who has had terrible luck with finding a good book to read. I bought him a romance novel so we can have nightly readings).

After getting out of the Smokies, we stayed at Standing Bear Hostel and had some beers with Rocket,  the caretaker. It was a rough morning for some, but an awesome hostel for sure. Hand washed my clothes, which only made them smell worse. I decided to see how my leg would hold and push for Hot Springs in two days (not too bad, but decent climbs up and down on either end.) Raven, Strider, and I pushed past Max Patch, an amazing bald in NC, to Roaring Fork Shelter. Tangy and Sir Stooge stayed at the Patch for sunset and sunrise photos. Kind of wish I had done the same. Rojo, Shaman, and Party stayed longer at Standing Bear, but showed up today on our zero in Hot Springs.

When I got into Hot Springs, Dreamcatcher and Fiddlehead were here! Fiddlehead owed me some money, so instead of giving me the money, they bought me a plastic flask with Jameson in it. In a dry county. Needless to say, I have been generous with all our hiker trash friends and we have all enjoyed the beauty that is Jameson. We also went into the Hot Springs. Veeeeeeery relaxing.

We all stumbled into Smoky Mountain Diner and ate the Hungry Hiker,  a twelve ounce burger with any multitude of sides. I got wedges the size of my arm. After destroying the burger, we settled into the Sunnybank Inn which is run by 1975 thru hiker Elmer and two other thru hikers who help him out. It is an historic building, dating back to 1840. Amazing place, amazing food, and a gracious host. We had beers and pizza at the Spring Creek Tavern and watched the Red Wings game. Enjoyable. Breakfast this morning, prepared by Elmer himself, was a vegetarian delight. I took a photo for your viewing pleasure. Did laundry, still have to resupply, and have tried to relax as much as possible.

I have a wedding on June 15th. I am going to try to oush past mile 500 before then. Shouldn't be too bad, just not going to be as relaxing as it has been. Thirteen days without a zero and only one place to shower and laundry! Woot!

To those no longer with us on the trail, we miss you and love you. This includes, and is not limited to, Shamwow, my man Ellis, and Trav. I hope all of you are well and all those ahead or behind me are well.

Oh yeah, all I saw in the Smokies were three turkeys, three deer, squirrels, and chipmunks. I could've stayed home. Stupid weather blocking every good view in the Smokies except one or two! I will reconquer you another time.

I hope everyone is having a beautiful day! Check out YouTube for videos soon

Cheers!

Jupiter

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes when I look out at the scenic views from a ridge top I often reflect that old adage from Confucius...a bomb goes off in the middle of a herd of cows, there will be udder destruction.

    ReplyDelete