Saturday, July 6, 2013

Duncannon, PA to Port Clinton, PA

Howdy all!

I am going to keep this short, simple, and too the point.

Mileage roundup for this section is as follows: 11.3, 18, 17.5, 15.1, and 9 into Port Clinton.

Pennsylvania should be called Rocksylvania. My boots were in great condition and have taken a beating. I stopped at Port Clinton, which is apparently the start of the crappiest sections of rocks. I guess I will find out another time!

I walked most of the time with BMW and stayed at the shelters with him and Rocket Turtle. I met some other interesting thru hikers - Violet, B-Line, Code Walker, Why Not. Got to walk and chat with the Thru Project some more. Great guys for sure. I wish them the best of luck.

Two and a half days away from Port Clinton, I found out my 28 year old cousins Zack, an MD and anesthesiologist, passed away unexpectedly. The trail gods are against me, and I am calling it quits for my thru hike. I am starting a 161.5 mile section today. I am walking from Waynesboro, VA to Harpers Ferry. It will put me at 700 miles for the year (I think it is actually 697.4, but close enough).

I feel good about this decision. I feel like I have accomplished so much all ready and grown as a person in ways I wouldn't have dreamed. I do feel like I failed the people that donated to my charity. For that, I truly and deeply apologize. I just can't hike anymore. My Pop Pop is still sick and after my cousin died, I just floundered. I hope you can understand that I am not getting off the trail because I can't physically or mentally hike, I just need to be around family and stop acting like I am retired already and get a job (haha!).

I do miss BMW, my German friend. After Travis got off the trail, I had people to hike with that we had been hiking with for weeks. When I started up North, I didn't have that camaraderie. BMW had lost his hiker partner and we clicked. I wish him good luck and will have some beer with him in German when I go to visit!

Look forward to one more blog post of my little section in VA!

Thanks for reading!

Cheers!

Jupiter

2 comments:

  1. Family first bro, the trail will bide its time until you are ready to abide it into submission. Keep rockin it dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not disappointed in you at all. SO proud of all you have done and your decisions....hope you finish this section with all the Quigley gumption you have. Luv ya. Ma

    ReplyDelete